St. James began in1840 when members of the Cross Road Congregation split due to language and procedural disputes. Reverend Shellhamer, after the split, continued to preach in German until Reverend Funk, who traveled from St. Gabriel's Church, presented the sermons in English. Between 1840 and 1852, members of the congregation erected, on the present site, a log church whick abounded with over 100 members.
From 1854 until 1865 , Reverend H. Goodrich served as the English pastor of St. James Church. Unrest remained with the congregation. In 1857 mamny of the members of the congregation, who remained unsettled moved to the Lutheran Church at the Stucker School House at Zion.
Sometime during this era, St. James Church became a part of the Bloomsburg Charge. Still not content in 1865, the Orangeville, Zion, and St. James separated from the Bloomsburg Charge and formed a new charge which currently exist. For the next two years, Reverend Wilson took charge of the congregation and ministerial needs.
Serving the charge for 40 years (1869-1909), Reverend Houtz, following recommendations of the General Synod, played an instrumental role in St. James adopting the Charter and becoming incorporated under the title of St. James Reformed Church. He also suggested the planting of memorial shade trees around the building, few of which remain today. During this period of time, the consistory adopted the resolution that a new church be built on or before 1900. On December 30, 1899, the congregation held a meeting during which they voted to erect a new church during the coming year. Plans inclided an auditorium with seating capacity of 225 and a lecture room(Sunday School Room) to seat about 100. Total cost of the new structure would be $4000.00. Struggling financially, Reverend Houtz went before the consistory several times about his unpaid salary. The story goes that the farmers who supported the church had trouble meeting their obligations and did not pay towards the up keep of the church as they should. After 40 years, Reverend Houtz resigned as pastor, however, he did stay long enough to supervise the younger ministers.
In 1909, Reverend William S. Gerhard came to the congregation from the seminary. His missionary work within the charge. During his ministry, however, another financial obligation faced the congregation. They had to help pay for a parsonage. Ladies Aid became active in 1909 and Harvest Home became part of the church services.
Reverend Alfred M Schaffner served the congregation from 1914-1920. During the time spent at St. James Church, he introduced the congregation to Evangelism.
From 1921 to 1924, Reverend David W. Kerr served the congregation. He was a stickler for keeping the Sabbath Day Holy. Also, during his term at St.James Church, the congregation placed carpet in the church aisles, installed a rail in the front of the church, hung a red velvert curtain behind the altar in the front of the church, and placed flowers on the altar for the first time.
Serving from 1924 to 1926, Reverend Clayton H. Kichline introduced the congregation to the type of "Women's Liberation Movement." While recuperating from an operation, unintentionally his wife, an ordained minister herself, carried on his duties as minister. At this time the congregation prepared to improve the cemetery.